Who we are:
The Humane League UK is a charity ending the abuse of animals raised for food by influencing the world's biggest companies, demanding legislation, and empowering others to take action. We're a mission-driven, energetic team, focused on problem-solving and effective teamwork, and have grown significantly over the last few years. Thanks to our targeted approach, our effectiveness in reducing animal suffering and our efficient use of donations, The Humane League has been named Top Charity by the independent evaluator Animal Charity Evaluators for every rating period since 2012.
THL UK is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to furthering equity and inclusion, and we value diversity. We seek people from a wide range of backgrounds who will bring a fresh perspective to the team, not just because it is the right thing to do, but because it makes us stronger. We make employment decisions by matching our organisational needs with the skills and experience of the candidates, irrespective of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, neurodiversity, age or veteran status.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Committed Employer, demonstrating our commitment to recruiting, retaining, and supporting disabled people and people with health conditions, based on their skills and talent.
You can read more about how The Humane League UK is working on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion here
If you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility, please contact us via email@example.com and we will be happy to discuss via email or telephone reasonable adjustments that you may require throughout the process.
We are seeking a creative individual with the drive to create progressive change for millions of farmed animals.
This is a permanent, part-time position, 20 hours per week across the week (working pattern to be agreed).
If you would like to learn more about the Graphic Designer role, you can watch a recording of our recent webinar here
Who you are:
As Graphic Designer, you will create visual assets to inspire action and a sense of community across all of our digital and offline channels. You will be a detail-oriented person with a strong understanding of design principles as demonstrated through an online portfolio.
Reporting to the Head of Communications, the successful candidate will be passionate about The Humane League’s mission of ending the abuse of animals raised for food. You will work closely with our Design Team located in the US to uphold brand guidelines and share best practices.
You have strong organisational and interpersonal skills and are comfortable collaborating with a wide range of stakeholders. You are a creative problem-solver with a focus on innovation and improvement, who wants to bring your passion and talents to a job that creates real change. You’ll have the ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative global team in a fast-paced environment. And, you’ll be able to prioritise and manage multiple tasks efficiently.
- Design creative visual assets within our brand standards
- Understand current design trends and implement these as needed
- Help implement diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies across our communications
- Collaborate with team members across the UK and US organisation to understand visual needs
- Produce assets to agreed timelines and use our internal project management system to manage projects, deadlines, and communications with team members on projects
- Communicate design rationale to stakeholders to enrol them in design thinking and the why behind design decisions, on behalf of the global design team.
- Collaborate with other designers at The Humane League, seeking and providing sound, constructive feedback as necessary.
- Produce design assets for all departments at The Humane League UK, which may include the following:
- Social media graphics
- Printed and digital promotional materials
- Email and other web-based graphics
- Campaign support materials
- Advanced proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop).
- Experience with Microsoft Office (including creating Word templates and PPT presentations) and the Google cloud computing suite (e.g. Google docs.).
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, CMS platforms, and Motion design/animation is a plus.
- Attend conferences, events, protests and actions if needed
- Participate in team meetings including note-taking and facilitation
- Attend in-person workshops several times a year
- Help us make THL UK an inclusive workplace where employees and supporters are proud to be members of the movement
- Demonstrate commitment to creating a stronger and more effective animal protection movement through inclusion and belonging, recognising the need for all of us to do better for social justice on a personal and organisational level
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Head of Communications
Creative: A creative and critical thinker, generating new creative ideas to maximise the efficiency, effectiveness and ultimately the success of the team.
Multi-tasking: You are organised and can manage multiple tasks and projects effectively to agreed deadlines, and keep colleagues involved and up-to-date.
Attention to detail: You have an eye for detail and a strong understanding of design principles. You care about protecting and enhancing our brand.
Communication: You understand how to visually convey meaning.
Self motivation: You can work independently, you’re a forward-thinker, able and willing to take initiative in pursuing goals. You meet objectives and tight deadlines under pressure, setting own schedule given only general directives and carry them out in a timely, efficient manner.
Team player: You’re comfortable working with staff from different teams appreciating everyone’s contribution.
Good to know:
Our employees all work remotely but still enjoy a supportive, collaborative environment. You will have access to a workplace pension, a pro rata share of 25 days leave plus Public Holidays, flexible working hours, internet reimbursement, access to our Mental Health Assistance package, and family-friendly policies. Professional learning and development is actively encouraged.
At The Humane League, animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work and as such, many of our employees are vegan by personal choice. All of our events and workshops offer only plant-based meals. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
We are looking to speak to a wide range of candidates with diverse backgrounds - #NonGraduatesWelcome
For our salaries to be fair, transparent and equitable we want to provide a system that delivers a competitive salary in the market and could eliminate potential biases in compensation (such as the gender pay gap). For more information about the Graphic Designer salary please click here
All applicants need to be:
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Live and have the right to work in the UK (we are unable to consider applications from those without the right to work in the UK)
- Committed to our mission to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
Closing date: Sunday 19th March 2023
You will hear from us after the application closing date passes. Once your application has been received and reviewed and when we want to take it forward, our thorough interview process will follow this route:
- Skills Test (completed remotely)
- First Interview (via video call)
- Final Interview (via video call)
For full details of our recruitment process click here