The Good Food Institute is an international network of nonprofit think tanks working to make the global food system better for the planet, people, and animals. Alongside scientists, businesses, and policymakers, GFI’s teams focus on making plant-based, fermentation-enabled, and cultivated proteins delicious, affordable, and accessible. Powered by philanthropy, we are advancing alternative proteins as an essential solution needed to meet the world’s climate, global health, food security, and biodiversity goals.
The Policy Specialist Singapore will be hired in and focused on Singapore, the first country on the planet that approved a cultivated meat product for sales in December 2020. By working closely with the government agencies and civil society, the Policy Specialist Singapore will have an immediate impact in catalyzing the movement to create a more sustainable, secure and just food system.
How you will make a difference
As GFI APAC’s Policy Specialist Singapore, you will radically transform the food system by:
Acting on and continuously developing GFI APAC’s policy programs and strategy for Singapore
- Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of Singapore’s food regulatory landscape, including government policies and national priorities.
- Develop, drive and manage the delivery of projects in an efficient and timely manner.
- Building and actively managing strong, meaningful, long-term relationships with impactful and relevant stakeholders in Singapore.
- Inspire and expand support in acceleration of the plant-based, fermentation-derived and cultivated meat, egg and dairy industry amongst government agencies and nonprofits.
- Securing government support for open-access alternative protein R&D.
- Leverage relationships to drive public funding towards most impactful R&D projects.
- Represent GFI APAC at the National Mirror Committee for Plant-based Standards and the Novel Foods Pro-tem Committee to work towards a level playing field and the international harmonisation of regulations and fair labeling policies for alternative proteins.
- Sharing best practices from the experiences at other GFI entities across the world to secure a smooth implementation of regulatory framework for novel foods and labels for alternative proteins in Singapore.
- Supporting Singapore government in their aim for clear and efficient regulation so that more foods come to market safely and properly labeled.
- Act as a knowledge partner to the Singapore Food Agency when they are seeking advice while developing their regulations for novel food ingredients.
- Representing a Singapore’s perspective in global GFI initiatives and projects.
- Representing GFI APAC and the broader global GFI movement in multilateral processes on a case-by-case basis.
Who we’re looking for
Behavioural competencies we are looking for:
- Strategic relationship management.
- Strategy building and execution skills.
- Able to negotiate and influence impactfully.
- Problem solving capabilities.
- Decision making skills.
- Flexibility and ability to manage change.
- Capacity to work independently and effectively.
- An upbeat, engaging personality that will attract new influencers to support our mission.
- Comfort with working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Willingness to occasionally travel.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in public health, environmentalism, animal protection, or hunger relief.
A background in an international organization or governmental organization. Experience working with the Singapore government is a big plus.
- Strong understanding of political, policy and regulatory processes, able to engage at high levels with government, parliamentary and industry stakeholders on complex regulatory matters.
- A strong understanding of Singapore culture and politics.
- A strong understanding of socio-political dynamics within the diverse Asia Pacific region.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, proficiency in one other Asian language is a plus.
Qualifications & Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as economics, political science, public policy etc.
- A minimum of five years’ professional experience in a related field.
- A proven track record of a minimum of three years of previous relationship management: cultivating relationships with individuals, government and semi-governmental agencies.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The fine print
Terms of Employment: Full time
Reports to: Managing Director, GFI APAC
Salary: Annual salary between SGD85-115K based on qualifications
Benefits: Working from home, flexible working hours, opportunity to create real impact, respectful managers and supportive colleagues.
Application deadline: We will be assessing candidates on a rolling basis, so please apply now!
Application process: Please complete this short form, upload your CV and cover letter. Your cover letter (of 1-2 pages) should set out:
• What motivated you to apply for this role?
• How do you meet the requirements listed in the job description?
• Which bit of the job description energises you the most?
Beyond the initial screening process, there will be several further rounds. We really look forward to hearing from you!
If you have any questions about this role, please do reach out to us at email@example.com
. If you’ve read this far but decided not to apply, please feel free to share this job description with someone else in your network who you think might be a good fit for the role. Thank you!