The California Pan-Ethnic Health Network (CPEHN) is seeking a full-time Communications Director. CPEHN is a statewide health policy organization focused on addressing racial and ethnic health disparities. CPEHN works closely with communities of color across the state to elevate local voices and health issues to state and local policymakers and help communities of color advance policy change and structural reform that creates equitable conditions for their communities. California applicants are preferred but other remote work locations will be considered. CPEHN maintains physical offices in Oakland and Sacramento and has a hybrid work policy. CPEHN has a mandatory up-to-date COVID-19 vaccine policy.
The Communications Director is responsible for directing, developing, and overseeing CPEHN’s communications strategy through high-level, strategic visioning, a deep understanding of racial equity, implementation of campaigns and programs, and brand stewardship. This position is responsible for content and messaging generation for diverse audiences and platforms, managing projects and relationships with key stakeholders and consultants, and continuing to grow CPEHN’s leadership in the field of health equity. They will work with all staff to increase organizational visibility, promote our policy agenda, and develop media relationships.
We are looking for a creative thinker and strong collaborator who has experience leading messaging and communications strategies. We are looking for someone with experience working with media, policy campaign experience, and a wide array of communications skills (social media, graphic design, project management, communications strategy, etc). The ideal candidate is someone with a strong health equity lens, who has a keen eye for detail, and strong written and verbal communication skills. Our next Director of Communications will be someone who shares CPEHN’s commitment to health equity and racial justice.
Key Job Duties:
• Oversee strategic communications for CPEHN policy campaigns, community programs, and organizational visibility.
• Cultivate and sustain CPEHN’s visibility in traditional media and online platforms, including social media.
• Ensure quality of CPEHN's external communications, both written and visual.
• Develop materials based on original or secondary research, such as policy or issue briefs.
• Collaborate with and develop the communications skills of CPEHN staff, as well as community partners and other stakeholders.
• You clearly articulate a racial justice vision and framework.
• You are able to hold and balance both long-term vision and daily tasks.
• You have high attention to detail, are able to prioritize projects and meet deadlines, and possess strong interpersonal skills. • You have impeccable verbal and written skills to articulate ideas and issues concisely and persuasively.
• You are able to think creatively, facilitate inclusivity, and act decisively.
• You have experience supervising and mentoring staff, supporting growth, and managing work across the titles and teams.
• At least 7 years of experience working in a communications-related position, preferably in an advocacy–oriented organization.
• At least 4 years of experience working with communities of color.
• At least 4 years of experience supervising staff and delegating work.
Compensation and Benefits:
$95,000 – $105,000 (DOE). Excellent benefits (100% employer paid health and dental insurance, employer retirement plan contributions, sabbatical leave, and more). CPEHN provides all employees with professional development funds to grow and hone skills relevant to their work.
Submit your application in a single PDF document to email@example.com, subject: Communications Director Application.
• Cover letter
• 1 writing sample (no longer than 2 pages)