The SERI ML Alignment Theory Scholars (MATS) program
aims to find and train talented individuals for what we see as the world’s most urgent and talent-constrained problem: reducing risks from unaligned artificial intelligence. We believe that ambitious young researchers from a variety of backgrounds have the potential to contribute to the field of alignment research. We aim to provide the mentorship, curriculum, financial support, and community necessary to aid this transition. Please see our theory of change
for more details.
We are looking for capable and self-motivated generalists to help the MATS operations team support our fast-growing AI alignment research community. Strong candidates are excited about alignment field-building, have experience in operations and/or office management, and enjoy fast-paced, dynamic work.
Compensation will be $35-50/h, depending on experience. Must be willing to work from Berkeley, CA. Full-time work for the 3 months (late June - early September) during Q3.
Reports to the Senior Operations Generalist. Specific responsibilities will vary depending on our needs, but standard tasks will include:
- Managing office inventory (track expenses and keep our inventory sheet up-to-date);
- Stocking bathroom supplies, food items, and office supplies;
- Tracking shipments and coordinating with contractors for shipping and receiving, delivery reception and assembly;
- Coordinating with the Community Manager to plan socials and events in the office space;
- Scheduling catering for office meals;
- Gathering feedback from scholars about office setup, equipment, etc. and implementing changes accordingly;
- Responding to office-related Airtable requests from scholars;
- Continuing work to improve the space to be more welcoming, comfortable, and practical;
- Delivering announcements regarding the office space to the cohort;
- Miscellaneous cleanup;
- Remaining responsive on Slack; and
- Generally helping ensure the smooth operation of MATS.
- US work authorization required;
- Located in or willing to move to Berkeley, CA;
- 1-2 years of professional experience in hospitality, administration, or a related field;
- Customer service mindset;
- Attention to detail;
- Organizational skills; and
- Ability to use Airtable, Notion, and Google Workspace