The SERI ML Alignment Theory Scholars (MATS) program
aims to find and train talented individuals for what we see as the world’s most urgent and talent-constrained problem: reducing risks from unaligned artificial intelligence. We believe that ambitious young researchers from a variety of backgrounds have the potential to contribute to the field of alignment research. We aim to provide the mentorship, curriculum, financial support, and community necessary to aid this transition. Please see our theory of change
for more details.
We are looking for a capable and self-motivated Residence Coordinator to help the MATS Co-Directors and Senior Operations Generalist support our fast-growing AI alignment research community by managing our social venue. In addition to keeping the space running smoothly and assisting with preparation for onsite events, the Residence Coordinator will work on-call to respond to potential scholar emergencies. Strong candidates are excited about alignment field-building and have experience in hospitality and/or customer service.
Compensation will be $35-40/h, depending on experience. Must be willing to live in and work part-time from our group house in Berkeley, CA for 3 months, during our research program duration. Accommodation is provided.
Report to the Senior Operations Generalist. Specific responsibilities will vary depending on our needs, but standard tasks will include:
- Assist scholars with housing check-in and check-out processes;
- Maintain house inventory and stock supplies;
- Assist the operations team with coordinating events held at the residence (orientation, workshops, our symposium, socials, etc.);
- Interface with the Lightcone team and contractors to ensure the safety and upkeep of the space;
- Be prepared for COVID (and other illness) response;
- Manage house cleanliness and organization;
- Respond to independent scholar housing requests in Airtable;
- Must forward community health concerns along to our Community Manager; and
- Respond to spontaneous operational needs as they arise.
- US work authorization required;
- Willing to live in Berkeley, CA for 3 months;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Welcoming presence;
- Hospitality or customer service experience preferred; and
- Basic first aid training (MATS is happy to cover the cost of courses if certification is not already acquired).