Applications for this job may be closed.
Senior Scientist — Plant-Based Specialization Engineer a new paradigm in food production
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is on the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic efficacy and food security.
How You Will Make a Difference
As a GFI Senior Scientist, you will analyze the technical landscape for plant-based meat, egg, and dairy technologies, articulate shared challenges, and identify opportunities to involve new experts, industries, and technologies to develop solutions that advance the whole field. Your analyses will ensure that a roadmap exists for improving the quality of plant-based products and growing their market share; that the best scientists are engaged in plant-based R&D; and that significant funds are directed toward scientific endeavors to transform agriculture away from industrial animal farming and toward more sustainable systems. Working with key academic, nonprofit, and industry stakeholders, you will ensure that plant-based products dominate the marketplace as quickly as possible by:
- Leading and writing technical analyses of the plant-based meat, egg, and dairy industries that culminate in white papers, conference presentations, and peer-reviewed articles.
- Forecasting future bottlenecks and obstacles that may inhibit the long-term growth of the plant-based industry and proposing solutions to proactively alleviate these bottlenecks.
- Identifying the key areas requiring the most focused research and finding the most qualified researchers to perform that work.
- Launching and overseeing original research projects through contracted partners and collaborators.
- Supporting the SciTech funding team by engaging high-priority investors, foundations, government agencies, and others who can infuse significant capital into plant-based and cell-based technology development.
- Informing strategic decisions through insights derived from deep industry analysis and examining parallel models for accelerating nascent industries.
- Building GFI’s capacity to serve as a knowledge hub for the industry and as a connector and force multiplier.
Who We’re Looking For
We are currently looking for a Senior Scientist to focus primarily on plant-based products, with an eye toward the entire value chain for plant-based products and ingredients. Expertise in the following fields is especially relevant: plant biology or crop science, agricultural engineering, biochemistry, agricultural science or agricultural technology, chemical engineering or bioprocess engineering, etc. This Senior Scientist must have:
- A Ph.D. in a relevant scientific field.
- Exceptional writing skills for technical and general audiences.
- Comfort with public speaking.
- A proven track record of analyzing scientific literature and publishing literature reviews.
- Experience translating scientific information into formats for non-scientific professionals.
- A functional understanding of the principles, methods, equipment, and techniques used in plant-based meat, egg, and dairy research and manufacturing.
- Coursework in—or working exposure to—economics, supply chain management, and science policy or agricultural policy is a strong plus.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Liz Specht, Associate Director of Science and Technology
Location: Remote; United States
Benefits: Working from home, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, room for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
This is a U.S.-based position: We are only able to consider applicants who are United States citizens or who already possess a United States Worker Visa.
Application Deadline: June 16, 2019
Please apply online at the link: https://grnh.se/24c41f0d2
- Category Animal Welfare
- Created by Chris Hu
- Submitted 14 May
- Last updated 14 May