Director of Development
Lead the team that is inspiring superhumans to support our superhuman task: Transforming the global food system
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is on the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of billions of animals annually.
As GFI’s Director of Development, you will lead our team of fearless fundraisers in growing our already-strong base of philanthropic support. Working closely with the Executive Director and GFI’s leadership team, the Director of Development oversees our three primary fundraising programs: leadership giving (major gifts), an annual campaign, and corporate and foundation grant-seeking. Your work will directly impact how quickly we can transform the global food system with the latest innovations in clean meat and plant-based meat, dairy, and eggs.
How You Will Make a Difference
GFI is 100% supported by philanthropy. As Director of Development, you will be responsible for securing the essential funds that power our work to transform industrial animal agriculture, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, conserve natural resources, and prevent animal suffering on a massive scale by:
- Leading all aspects of GFI’s fundraising programs: managing our development team and providing strategic direction to ensure GFI’s continued robust growth.
- Building strong, meaningful, long-term relationships with our leading individual donors and prospects, working closely with the Executive Director and development and program staff to maintain and expand their support.
- Developing and executing creative strategies to expand our donor base, ensuring that we have a robust prospect pipeline.
- Working with your team to develop performance metrics and ensure these are met.
- Crafting and presenting creative funding proposals, identifying new and unique opportunities for fundraising growth, and preparing compelling personalized progress reports.
Who We’re Looking For
The Director of Development must have:
- A proven track record of managing a multifaceted development program.
- Experience leading and motivating a team, preferably in a remote-work environment.
- A minimum of five years of previous development experience, preferably including two years in a major gifts officer capacity.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- A willingness to travel throughout the U.S., with frequent evening and weekend work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A capacity to work independently and effectively under the pressure of constant deadlines.
- An upbeat, engaging personality that will attract new supporters to invest in our mission and the ability to consistently motivate current donors to maintain and increase their support.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission.
- A plant-based lifestyle preferred but not required.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Bruce Friedrich, Executive Director
Supervises: Associate Directors for Philanthropy, Development, and Corporate & Foundation Relations, Executive Assistant, and future members of GFI’s expanding development team
Location: Remote; United States
Benefits: Remote work, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan, flexible holiday and vacation plans, room for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
This is a U.S.-based position: We are only able to consider applicants who are United States citizens or who already possess a United States Worker Visa.
Application Deadline: June 23, 2019
Please apply online at https://grnh.se/b41579d02
- Category Animal Welfare
- Created by Chris Hu
- Submitted 14 May
- Last updated 14 May