Senior Scientist — Cell-based Seafood Specialization
Engineer a new paradigm in food production
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is on the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic efficacy and food security.
How You Will Make a Difference
As a GFI Senior Scientist, you will analyze the technical landscape for cell-based seafood technologies, articulate shared challenges, and identify opportunities to involve new experts, industries, and technologies to develop solutions that advance the field. Your analyses will ensure that a roadmap exists for improving the quality of cell-based seafood products and growing their market share; that the best scientists are engaged in cell-based seafood R&D; and that significant funds are directed toward scientific endeavors to transform the seafood industry away from harmful commercial fishing and aquaculture practices and toward more sustainable systems. You will also work closely with our plant-based protein experts to articulate and address challenges unique to seafood applications within the plant-based meat sector. Working with key academic, nonprofit, and industry stakeholders, you will ensure that plant-based and cell-based products dominate the marketplace as quickly as possible by:
- Leading and writing technical analyses of the cell-based seafood industry that culminate in white papers, conference presentations, and peer-reviewed articles.
- Forecasting future bottlenecks and obstacles that may inhibit the long-term growth of the cell-based seafood industry and proposing solutions to proactively alleviate these bottlenecks.
- Identifying the key areas requiring the most focused research and finding the most qualified researchers to perform that work.
- Launching and overseeing original research projects through contracted partners and collaborators.
- Supporting the SciTech funding team by engaging high-priority investors, foundations, government agencies, and others who can infuse significant capital into cell-based seafood technology development.
- Informing strategic decisions through insights derived from deep industry analysis and examining parallel models for accelerating nascent industries.
- Building GFI’s capacity to serve as a knowledge hub for the industry and as a connector and force multiplier.
Who We’re Looking For
We are currently looking for a Senior Scientist to focus primarily on analyzing and addressing the challenges facing the commercialization of cell-based seafood as part of GFI’s Sustainable Seafood Initiative. Expertise in the following fields is especially relevant: cell biology, tissue engineering, molecular biology, biomaterials science, chemical or biomedical engineering, bioprocess engineering, stem cell biology, etc. Additional expertise that is relevant to plant-based seafood (e.g., fields such as food science, protein chemistry, food engineering, etc.) is a plus. This Senior Scientist must have:
- A Ph.D. in a relevant scientific field.
- Exceptional writing skills for technical and general audiences.
- A proven track record of analyzing scientific literature and publishing literature reviews.
- Experience translating scientific information into formats for non-scientific professionals.
- Project management experience for research projects across diverse, cross-functional teams.
- Experience with grant administration (preferred).
- A functional understanding of the principles, methods, equipment, and techniques used in cell-based meat research and production.
- Experience working with cell cultures from aquatic species (fish or marine invertebrates) or within large-scale animal cell culture facilities (preferred).
- Coursework in—or working exposure to—science policy or regulatory policy (preferred).
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Liz Specht, Associate Director of Science and Technology
Location: Remote; United States
Benefits: Working from home, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, room for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
This is a U.S.-based position: We are only able to consider applicants who are United States citizens or who already possess a United States Worker Visa.
Application Deadline: August 25, 2019