United for Respect (UFR) and WorkIt are seeking a Software Engineer with a strong technical background in full-stack and/or mobile app software development. You will help build new technology to help support, bring resources to, and mobilize millions of people who work in low wage retail jobs.
About United for Respect
United for Respect is a multiracial movement of working people advancing a vision of an economy where corporations respect our work and recognize our humanity. By leveraging technology, communities of support, and collective action, UFR is challenging major corporations and policymakers to change our economy and provide sustainable jobs for all working people. Learn more about UFR’s core programs here.
WorkIt is UFR’s proprietary digital platform that leverages machine learning to provide immediate support to people in low-wage jobs who are struggling to understand and assert their rights under the law and navigate corporate policies. WorkIt can be downloaded directly through Google Play or iTunes to ask any questions about workplace policy or rights via a simple chat interface to receive immediate, easy-to-understand advice and support.
Software Engineer will be responsible for:
● Working with the product team to fully understand all the ins and outs of our products
● Building new mobile apps and back-end services in collaboration with our partners and internal stakeholders
● Conducting and receiving code reviews and providing technical support and mentorship to other team members
● Proactively thinking about edge cases and potential problems with a given task and raising them
● Creating automated tests to help mitigate the creation of bugs
● Taking ownership of the software development cycle including planning, design, building, testing, and deployment
● 3+ years of demonstrated excellence in programming; experience with Python, Django, Dart, Flutter, or mobile app development
● 2+ years of developing and deploying production applications leveraging cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure or similar)
● 1+ years of technical mentorship experience, with direct experience conducting code reviews
● A demonstrated commitment to meeting high standards and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles as well as the ability to juggle multiple projects at a time and work in a fast-paced environment
● Ambition, drive, energy, and the ability to work flexible and long hours when necessary, this position requires travel (averages 1x/month national and international)
● Commitment to economic and social justice. You understand and can articulate issues facing communities of color, women, or low-and moderate-income families and can address this in your letter of interest.
Excellent health coverage and other competitive benefits, salary range: $95,000 - $105,000 (determined by years of direct experience)
Location: Work remotely or from our offices in Oakland or Brooklyn.
Send resume and letter of interest to Oren Goldberg, Engineering Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
United for Respect is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community. United for Respect provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Time commitment: Full time