Harness the passion of GFI’s communicators
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is at the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of billions of animals annually.
How You Will Make a Difference
In this role, you will have the opportunity to lead GFI’s team of communications specialists, develop and guide GFI’s communication’s strategy, direct the organization’s creative vision, generate innovative ideas, and harness the potential of new and emerging communication channels to bring our work to the largest possible audience and strengthen our position as the primary thought leader for the alternative protein ecosystem. The Director of Communications will be responsible for:
- Managing all aspects of GFI’s Communications Department, including providing strategic leadership, leading a growing team of 10 (currently), overseeing department spending, and serving as the department’s representative on GFI’s Leadership Team.
- Developing, implementing, and evaluating an integrated strategic communications plan that includes messaging and content development for GFI’s communications channels, including but not limited to media, social media, blog, newsletters, our website, and collateral.
- Creating, implementing, and evaluating the efficacy of communications initiatives that inspire scientists, policy-makers, corporate executives, entrepreneurs, donors, and investors to use their skills and resources to address challenges within our global food system.
- Overseeing GFI’s rebrand and its integration into all organization assets and channels, including updates to visual and editorial style guides.
- Overseeing GFI’s website redevelopment project and managing systems for ongoing content management and updates post-launch.
- Overseeing the development and execution of an organizational strategy for digital and in-person events that would position GFI as the alternative protein thought leader and drive forward maximum mission impact.
- Partnering with and providing expert communications guidance to all GFI departments and global affiliates to ensure maximum mission impact.
- Forging strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to identify unique stories, initiatives, and other opportunities to advance GFI’s narrative.
Identifying, managing, and collaborating with external consultants and agencies as needed, including web developers, graphic designers, photographers, etc.
- Defining, establishing, and utilizing key metrics to track the level of engagement and impact over time.
- Following all human resource and operational procedures.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Who We’re Looking For
The Director of Communications must have:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience leading and managing teams; nonprofit and agency communications experience is a plus.
- Exceptional written, verbal communication and presentation skills, with a demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts into powerful communications messaging, particularly in written materials.
- Experience working with our core technologies is preferred (Salesforce, Pardot, Cision, Asana, Sprout Social, Google Suite, and WordPress).
- Demonstrated ability to work confidently and effectively at the C-suite level.
- Highly effective organizational and interpersonal skills, with proven success influencing external and internal groups.
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, and able to work well remotely, independently, and execute under pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight and competing deadlines in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in environmentalism, public health, animal protection, and/or hunger relief.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Bruce Friedrich, Executive Director
- Location: Remote; United States
- Benefits: Flexible hours, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, room for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: We are only able to consider applicants who are United States citizens or who already possess a United States Worker Visa.
- Salary: $85,000-$95,000
Please review our detailed brochure for this role to learn more about GFI’s mission and strategic objectives, our team, the hiring process, and more!
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
- Category Other
- Created by Anastasia Orth
- Submitted 14 Aug
- Last updated 14 Aug