GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving - and millions of lives - by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of which is allocated to evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark, and in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty. GiveDirectly has raised over $400M in revenue (>$150M in 2020 alone), while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company
. The growing movement toward cash transfers and GD’s role in that movement have also been featured in This American Life
, Foreign Affairs
, The Economist
, and Business Insider
Cash transfers are at a potential inflection point: COVID-19 has amplified the challenges of bulkier in-kind aid models, and governments are deploying cash as their most common tool of assistance to vulnerable populations. GiveDirectly has an opportunity to leverage its strong track record (i.e. operations across 9 countries, >$250M transferred to over a million individuals, 13 randomized control trials), to both deliver immense impact and position itself as the premiere cash implementation vehicle globally.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
Growth Associate Details
As GiveDirectly’s second employee focused on major individual donors, you will play a crucial role in end-to-end execution for one of our organization’s top opportunities for increasing commitments to recipients. In this role, you will focus on delivering an exceptional experience to a portfolio of 250+ donors while identifying our next generation of champions.
GiveDirectly has seen meaningful organic traction from donors with large capacity for giving. In 2020, we tested and grew our operational capacity many times over; in 2021, the only thing holding us back from reaching more recipients will be the amount we can raise, particularly from major donors.
In this role, you will improve systems and test tactics for reaching potential major donors while helping to deliver an exceptional experience to our existing base. You’ll manage run-rate processes and deliver differentiated content to major donors by collecting & synthesizing data, recipient stories, operational learnings, and milestones into meaningful, memorable deliverables.
Our donors are curious and analytical; strong candidates for the role will be excited to get into the weeds on the latest research on cash, stay up to date on the state of the aid sector, and make the case for more recipient empowerment in aid allocation decisions. In this capacity, you’ll work closely with GD’s Growth, Partnerships, Finance, and Operations teams to match donors’ interests with updates ranging from a recent article they’d find compelling to a video highlighting recipient voices. This role is best suited for candidates with an entrepreneurial mindset, a knack for storytelling, and exceptional project management. This role will play a crucial role in building a community of givers excited about evidence, impact, and choice.
This role will report to the Growth Manager, and partner closely to develop a roadmap to drive over $75M in revenue in 2021 from major donors. If successful, this role has the potential to drive a step change difference in the dollars we can commit to the poor.
- Manage & enforce data integrity of GiveDirectly’s donor CRM; build analytics and reporting to gain insight on potential areas for growth
- Own end-to-end of weekly donation processes, including thank yous, research, and revenue tracking
- Turn manual multi-stakeholder processes into streamlined, trackable systems
- Research potential high-impact relationships to build, including with financial advisors
- Build documents / decks that communicate the potential impact or urgency of a funding opportunity
- Lead narrative reporting with innovative methods to communicate impact & champion GiveDirectly’s values
- Turn data, stories, photo/video, recent research findings and operational learnings from across the org into shareable content for relationship owners to disseminate
- 1-3 years' experience in a demanding, fast-paced, and analytical environment
- Exceptional project management, extreme ownership, and an ability to multi-track
- Savvy at telling stories through text, data, photo, and video
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Experience with Google Sheets / Excel, and an ability to quickly pick up Salesforce and Adobe Illustrator
- Thrives on ambiguity - jumps in with testing mindset, and can quickly put structure to unscoped problems
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**