Team: People & Compliance Team
Reports to: Senior Manager of Compliance & People
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $500m since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 500,000 people, and launched offices in 7 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company
, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine
, This American Life
, Foreign Affairs
, and The Economist
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working towards an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
About the role
As the Compliance & Grant Associate, you'll be accountable for managing processes to protect GD's recipients and team, ensuring GD can continue to deliver funds to some of the poorest people in the world. You’ll support in coordinating and managing all aspects of compliance at GD, including overarching organizational regulatory requirements and a large portfolio of grant agreements with some of the largest and most innovative funders in the world. In this role, you will collaboratively work across all teams (finance, partnerships, research, operations, humanitarian, growth, HR, etc.) in the US/UK and Africa. You will report directly to the Senior Manager of Compliance & People.
- Work collectively on improving grant management workflows by optimizing the capability of Salesforce
- Take the lead on transitioning grant admin folders from Google Drive to Salesforce
- Support Partnerships, Finance and Ops teams through the lifecycle of agreements
- Educate colleagues on compliance requirements for funder agreements compliance requirements
- Ensure on time reporting across all departments and accurate file documentation
Compliance and Systems
- Oversee compliance for all national and international registrations
- Complete policy and regulatory research and reviews
- Identify compliance gaps and suggest improvements
- Facilitate implementation of policies, systems, or controls to reduce risk
- Create scalable knowledge management systems & processes
- Other duties, or special projects as assigned by the Sr Manager Compliance
- Prior work or related experience in grant or project management
- Knowledge of salesforce
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Strong skills managing processes and timelines with high level of accuracy
- Strategic thinker
- Adept at drilling into the details without losing sight of the big picture
- Thirst for a position with room to grow
- Thrives in fast paced high-pressure environments
- Ability to work both under supervision and independently
- Finds policy analysis to be genuinely fun
- Alignment with GD Values (see below)
Recipients first. We prioritize recipient preferences over donor preferences or our own.
Team Next. We do what is best for the success of the organization - not the individual.
Be proactively candid. We say what we believe and are honest in sharing information.
Create positive energy. We strive to be a source of energy - not drain it - for our colleagues.
Think rigorously. Act Quickly. We are intellectually rigorous and oriented towards action - not debate.
Know yourself and grow. We recognize and accept our imperfections with a focus on growth
Accept reality. Propose solutions. We don't dwell on problems. We are actively working to create solutions.
Be productively ambitious. We take the risk of pursuing industry-changing successes, not marginal advancements.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**