Location: US, Remote
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving - and millions of lives - by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of which is allocated to evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark, and in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty. GiveDirectly has raised over $700M in revenue (>$300M in 2020 alone), while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company
. The growing movement toward cash transfers and GD’s role in that movement have also been featured in This American Life
, Foreign Affairs
, The Economist
, and Business Insider
Cash transfers are at a potential inflection point: COVID-19 has amplified the challenges of bulkier in-kind aid models, and governments are deploying cash as their most common tool of assistance to vulnerable populations. GiveDirectly has an opportunity to leverage its strong track record (i.e. operations across 9 countries, >$300M transferred to over a million individuals, 15 randomized control trials), to both deliver immense impact and position itself as the premiere cash implementation vehicle globally.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
In April 2020, GiveDirectly launched a US COVID response, Project 100, and disbursed over $100M in cash to more than 100K Americans in less than 100 days -- 100% remotely. This year, GiveDirectly is increasing its investment in the US and officially launching a US country team.
The US Associate will be crucial in supporting projects across the US team, including supporting new program launches. The Associate will be responsible for managing key operational processes and tackling systematic challenges in execution, while providing flexible support to the US (Senior) Managers and Country Director. We are looking for candidates that are highly organized and solutions-oriented, have strong verbal and written communication, and who thrive in fast-paced, unstructured environments.
Candidates must be based in the United States and willing to travel domestically as needed.
Please note you must be authorized to work in the United States, as we are unable to sponsor international candidates for this position.
- Support a range of operational and project management duties to ensure GiveDirectly’s US projects are executed with excellence and in line with our values, including conducting research to inform recipient targeting and reporting out on progress and achievement
- Lead select field operational processes across US projects, including directly supporting recipients via the customer service help desk and conducting recipient follow-up surveys
- Work closely with other members of the US team to identify process challenges and propose solutions (e.g. increasing operational efficiency, improving recipient experience)
- Become an expert in GiveDirectly’s tech systems and processes (Zendesk, Salesforce, Hyperwallet, etc.) to support project execution and excellence
- Track and report operational and efficiency metrics and report out to the US team
- 1-2+ years of work or volunteer experience in a role that required problem solving and project management
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and analytical skills
- Ability to manage day-to-day operations and propose & implement process improvements
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly independent and self-directed manner, while effectively communicating upwardly about gaps and risks
- Enthusiasm for fast-paced environments, which may lack a pre-defined playbook for success and involve significant “learning by doing”
- Strong alignment with GD values (see below)
- Spanish language fluency a plus
In addition to the specific skills required for each role, we’re looking for candidates who are aligned with our GD Values
, and who demonstrate our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement and commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**