GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company
, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine
, This American Life
, Foreign Affairs
, and The Economist
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
About this role
We are searching for a Senior Engineer hire to help build the foundation for GiveDirectly’s donor-facing growth efforts. This individual must have strong coding ability - plus the drive to stretch beyond the code into strategy, systems design, testing, and more. This is a unique opportunity to be an integral part of our product team. Led by the Director of Product, this cross-functional team includes this engineering role within a small engineering team, a data analyst, and a UI/UX designer. The product team works across fundraising, field operations, and finance, focusing on projects that create increased donor engagement and help to reimagine how the social sector approaches donor growth. We anticipate 75% of your time will be spent building new products and the remaining 25% of your time doing maintenance, product improvements, and steady state work. We expect about the majority of your time to be spent on backend work, but a full-stack candidate will have opportunities to influence the direction of our Frontend tech stack.
Reports to: Director of Product
As a Senior Software Engineer, your work will span new and existing products owned by the product team, including:
- Architecting and build innovative products for GD’s donor communities - Prototyping products such as web apps and instant donation buttons
- Driving dollars committed to the poor through innovations in fundraising tech (e.g., new structures for donor advocacy and referral, personalized reporting, targeted donation matching, technical SEO, etc.)
- Helping design and implement a north star data platform and analytics solution for revenue data
- Bonus: Full-stack/Frontend experience, to help shape the direction of our main page, donation site, and new user experiences
We’re looking for folks with:
- 4+ years post-education industry experience creating production-caliber software and systems
- Fluency with web or mobile patterns and tools:
- SQL databases
- Cloud providers (ideally AWS)
- Experience with backend technologies (Python, Server frameworks, PHP, etc.)
Bonus: front-end technologies (Vue/React, template systems such as Moustache).
Outside of technical proficiency, we are looking for people with:
- An ability to translate ideas into coherent software development roadmaps and subsequently into shipped products
- Strong analytical skills and communication - able to break down complex problems, describe trade-offs, and communicate recommended next steps
- Evangelism for writing clean, readable, and performant code
- A willingness to give and receive direct, honest feedback
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Existing stack / products:
Donate page: This allows donors to give via credit card, PayPal, or other methods. It is hosted on AWS, the front end uses Vue.js as the framework. The backend is a php app hosted on AWS which syncs data between the front end, our payments processors, and Salesforce using a Redis instance to cache data.
GDLive: This product shows a live feed of recipient stories from our field database. The infrastructure is hosted on AWS while the app is a ruby on rails app which leverages AWS’s SQS service, postgres databases and a linux servers behind an ELB and pulls data from our recipient databases.
Marketing website: Our site is a WordPress website that is maintained by the marketing team. We do not expect this role or the product team to maintain the site. Though we anticipate the candidate engaging with existing resources when integrations are needed.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
Please note that we will begin reviewing resumes in early January.