Location: Global, Remote
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
We are seeking a creative and entrepreneurial manager to build out GiveDirectly’s content and communications pillar: driving awareness for direct giving by pitching media, generating content that embodies GD’s values
, and elevating recipient voices.
You are a clear, succinct communicator with a track record of end-to-end ownership of media operations and content roadmaps. You are passionate about social policy and international development, with experience translating complex policy and research into clear talking points and takeaways.
Press and social marketing have been vital channels in driving awareness for GiveDirectly’s work, enabling us to raise and deliver more funds to people in poverty. GiveDirectly has been covered in a number of top tier outlets, including This American Life
, The New York Times
, the Wall Street Journal
, the Economist
, and more. These features both drive new donations and build awareness for the value of empowering recipients to spend aid on what they need most. Social engagements from donors like Jack Dorsey
and Vitalik Buterin
drew a whole new community to giving directly.
Note: We're also open to making role more senior for folks with more depth of experience - please reach out if that's you.
- Run outbound pitching to print, TV, and podcast journalists
- Build on GD's past coverage in top tier outlets including New York Times, Wall Street Journal, & NPR
- Develop and maintain relationships with journalists, producers, and hosts
- Prepare GiveDirectly staff for press and media appearances
Push Communications through Email and Social
- Own social media and newsletter growth.
- Design and send email communications to donors, testing conversion approaches
- Produce graphics, data visualizations, and short videos.
- Grow follower counts across platforms and develop influencer relationships
- 3+ years of experience in fast-paced content-driven role in communications, consulting, media, content marketing, or journalism
- Exceptional relationship management: you’re excited to build a press network around direct giving, both via establishing new relationships for GD and strengthening existing ones. A passion for building press relationships
- Strong communications skills across mediums (speaking, writing, presenting, risk assessment, and negotiating with multiple stakeholders)
- Excellent attention to detail regarding text, visuals, and video
Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Nice to haves:
(not requirements, but mention if this is you)
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere experience
- Lifecycle-based marketing and segmentation
- Graphic design experience (data visualization and promotions)
- Data analytics and quantitative statistics (Excel level)
- Front end web page management (WordPress) and HTML / CSS experience
- SalesForce and Hubspot experience
- Professional storytelling / creative writing experience
- Fluency in French or primary languages where GD works (Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Chichewa, etc.)
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**