About Public Profit
Public Profit is a woman-owned consultancy that helps mission-driven organizations use information to improve their practice and deepen impact. Our clients include cities, schools, museums, philanthropies, nonprofits, and policy advocates. We provide program evaluation, evaluation capacity building, strategic program design, and data visualization services. Learn more about us at www.publicprofit.net.
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
At Public Profit, we are committed to equity and inclusion for our team, our clients, and the communities we serve.
Because of this commitment, we believe in the power of elevating diverse perspectives, using community-based and human-centered approaches, and listening to understand in order to better empower and serve our clients and communities.
We recognize that many of the issues faced by the communities we serve are the result of systemic oppression that disproportionately affects people along racial, ethnic, gender, and socioeconomic lines. We come to this work from a position of privilege and recognize that it is our responsibility to actively confront our own biases and the systemic injustices we hope to change.
We understand that we will make mistakes in our pursuit of equitable and inclusive outcomes, and we will own the responsibility for taking corrective actions when we do. We believe the journey to greater equity and inclusion is ongoing, but it is a journey we are passionate about and committed to continuing.
Our purpose on this journey is to do more than simply check off a box to say we fulfilled our requirement “to do” equity and inclusion, rather we are tirelessly and continuously learning to find new strategies, methods, and practices in order to uphold our commitment to equity and inclusion for our team, our clients, and the communities we serve.
About the Position
We are searching for a full-time Associate. Associates are responsible for implementing the data collection, data management, and data analysis components of each project. The Associate will conduct literature reviews, co-create client-facing deliverables, and provide project administrative support, including scheduling, client communication, cofacilitation of client presentations, and preparing materials for meetings and trainings. Nearly all of our engagements incorporate mixed methods; the Associate will collect, analyze and report on both quantitative and qualitative data.
Successful team members value helping mission-driven organizations succeed. They bring exceptional productivity, a sense of humor, attention to detail, a passion for learning, the ability to work in multiple teams and on multiple tasks, and a strong commitment to providing high quality service to our clients. We value diversity in all its forms and encourage applications from bilingual and bicultural candidates.
Primary activities include:
• Conducting primary data collection, such as by fielding surveys, conducting key informant interviews and focus groups.
• Coordinating data collection activities, including survey development, distribution, fielding protocols, collection, tracking, and processing.
• Quantitative data tasks using a combination of MS Excel and R. Includes cleaning data files, checking for completeness, creating new variables, matching data sets, running descriptive statistics, conducting inferential analysis in line with analysis plan.
• Qualitative data tasks (using MS Office Suite primarily) including notetaking and transcribing, qualitative coding.
• Contributing to joint understanding and meaning-making with project teams, conducting literature reviews, writing up findings, and visualizing data.
• Contributing to the creation of a variety of deliverables, including written reports, presentations, and data dashboards.
• Coordinate with project teams to prioritize, delegate, and complete project administrative tasks, such as arranging meetings, maintaining files, taking meeting notes, and providing on-site support at meetings and trainings.
• Corresponding with clients, primarily through email.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Two years’ experience in a similar professional capacity, ideally in a position focused on program evaluation or social science research.
• A passion for helping mission-driven organizations use data to measure and improve the quality of their work.
• Hands-on experience troubleshooting messy data sets of any size.
• Hands-on experience managing large data sets (1,000+ cases) in Excel; experience with R, SPSS, or STATA a plus.
• Experience collecting and cleaning quantitative data, such as surveys and academic assessments.
• Experience collecting and cleaning qualitative data, such as interviews and focus groups.
• Prior training in quantitative data analysis.
• Prior training in qualitative data analysis.
• Superlative attention to detail; flawless follow-through on assigned tasks.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to meet established deadlines.
• Strong familiarity with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the ability to work for extended periods while sitting at a computer.
What the Associate will gain from this position:
• Extensive contact with a variety of mission-driven organizations throughout the West Coast and nationally.
• Opportunity to build skills in data management, data analysis, evaluation design and implementation, data visualization and innovative reporting, and facilitation.
• Chance to be part of a hard-working, fun-filled, woman-owned, collaborative consulting firm.
Compensation and Benefits
The base salary for this position is $65,000. Fitting with its commitment to equity and a team culture that values each member as a key contributor, Public Profit also provides an annual revenue share to every employee. We are committed to supporting our team’s work-life balance. Benefits include, but are not limited to:
• Health insurance for employee through Kaiser;
• 401(k) with 4% employer match;
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP);
• $1,500 annual professional development budget;
• 11 company holidays, 15 days paid time off to start.
Public Profit staff are located throughout California’s Bay Area and in Eugene, OR. Public Profit has a hybrid model in which team members work from our office in downtown Oakland at least two days per week.
All Public Profit staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to beginning employment.
• We will review applications beginning Tuesday, January 25. Applications received after the due date will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
• Submit your cover letter, resume, and answers to a brief questionnaire: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PP_Associate_Search_2022 Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
• We are currently unable to sponsor visa applications; applicants must be authorized to work in the US.