Location: Global, Remote
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company
, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine
, This American Life
, Foreign Affairs
, and The Economist
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
About this role
GiveDirectly’s revenue is driven largely from a few highly-engaged, high-value communities who trust recipients living in poverty and spread the word on cash. To continue our rapid growth, we’ll need to expand these existing communities (e.g., tech founders or the crypto community) and find our next generation of catalytic supporters.
We’re looking for an Acquisition & Community Senior Manager to lead the major-donor acquisition charge for the fastest-growing nonprofit of the century. This role has the potential to raise tens of millions for people living in poverty, and define GiveDirectly’s growth roadmap as we approach $1bn raised.
In this role you’ll define our acquisition roadmap by testing tactics for finding and expanding communities of potential major donors (e.g., hosting events at soon-to-IPO startups); building scalable-yet-differentiated relationships with strategic influencers like wealth advisors; building a GiveDirectly ambassador program; and thinking outside the box re: how we can put cash on the map.
You’ll work on cross-functional projects with the Retail, Product, Research, Comms, and Operations teams. Finally, you’ll be driven by a deep dedication to shifting the status quo in the philanthropy space by putting aid budgets directly in the hands of recipients.
Reports to: Senior Manager, Growth
- Define and execute GiveDirectly’s acquisition roadmap: how can we reach our next 100 $1M+ donors, and how will we continually test & iterate to get there?
- Deepen relationships with existing communities of supporters – certain workplaces, the crypto community, networks of founders – to expand our tent via referral or events
- Build and run a system to outbound target key potential donors
- Work with smart, creative GiveDirectly donors to build an Ambassador program that spread the word on cash (and tracks referrals and n-order impact)
- Through all projects, build scalable, high-quality processes; rigorously analyze what works & doesn’t work; and reprioritize where necessary
- Develop and hit/exceed acquisition KPIs ($ raised from new major donors)
We’re looking for candidates with:
- 4+ years of professional experience in a fast-paced environment creating scalable processes, building high-value relationships, and attacking ambitious problems in uncharted territory
- Clear, succinct, casual communications style that’s in line with how our major donors typically communicate. They’re time-poor and get straight to the point (but are also funny, creative, and thoughtful)
- Ability to analyze problems with complex data; you’ll need to build & maintain dashboards, reports, and models that surface the right key data to track, and then leverage it to decide if what we’re doing works
- Passion for putting structure and process to ambiguous problems
Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly Values and an active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Bonus but not required: experience working with existing communities of donors; in-depth knowledge of the crypto world; in-depth knowledge of cash and/or effective altruism
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**