EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT / OPERATIONS MANAGER
Compensation: $60,000 - $100,000 / year depending on experience.
If your dream job is to work in longtermism, travel the world with EAs and work for high-caliber individuals, you might be the perfect fit for this Executive Assistant/Operations Manager role.
Application Deadline: July 21st
Target Start Date: September
Nonlinear is building the Y Combinator of longtermism - a charity incubator that identifies promising ideas and matches them with founders, funding, and mentorship. Nonlinear's goal is to multiply by 10x the number of talented people working on longtermism by launching dozens of high impact charities to help safeguard the future of humanity.
WHY YOU MIGHT LOVE THIS JOB
Travel. We’re digital nomads who visited 40+ countries in the last 4 years. You’d get paid to see the world and live in endless summer, since we only stay in places where it’s warm and sunny. No more long, dreary winters. The plan for 2022-2023 is the Caribbean in the winter and EA hubs in the summer (Bay Area and London). Here are some pictures of our “offices” over the last 12 months.
"Office" in Italy
Traveling through the Swiss Alps
Trying to do the most good in a tropical paradise
Discussing AI safety interventions on a Caribbean mountain hike
Our office and home in Costa Rica was so remote that we heard howler monkeys while working on our Google Docs.
High impact. Be the reason for more ideas getting investigated, thus starting more and higher impact projects. It’s a little-acknowledged fact that many CEOs would come to their knees without their assistants. We're finding that Nonlinear simply can't grow without a world-class executive assistant to protect the time of our team.
EA startup culture. Nonlinear has a startup culture of creativity, casual attire, flexibility, informality, and task diversity. You will get to see the inner workings of a new EA charity, being one of the first full-time employees, seeing it grow, and learning lots of different skills.
Work-life balance. Our motto is to try to do the most good and have a good time doing so. We want to help the world as best we can in a sustainable way, while valuing our team’s happiness intrinsically. We try to balance working hard and taking time off to do the really fun things.
Live with EAs. You’ll live with fellow EAs, getting to have high level intellectual conversations about how to best help the world during meals and break days.
Not all desk work. A combination of both intellectual work and working with your hands and getting outside. This is not a job where you’re stuck behind a desk all day.
Mentorship and growth. People sometimes think of administrative work as rote, box-checking, but the best people at it are actually brilliant at communications and creative problem solving. We are going to invest heavily in your growth and you will receive regular training from two successful entrepreneurs in how to negotiate and get good deals. A regular aspect of your job will be getting paid to read and apply books on self-development, management, persuasion, and other key aspects of the role.
Live with EAs. You’ll live with fellow EAs, getting to have high level intellectual conversations about how to best help the world during meals and break days. We regularly book large Airbnbs and invite high impact EA friends to travel with us. Previous guests include people like Richard Ngo, Spencer Greenberg, and Rohin Shah.
Mentorship and growth. People sometimes think of administrative work as rote, box-checking, but the best people at it are actually brilliant at communications and creative problem solving. We will invest heavily in your growth and will receive regular training from two successful entrepreneurs.
Get experience with an EA nonprofit, which will help help launch your career in the EA space.
- Gain a strong resume reference
Compensation: $60,000 - $100,000/year, depending on experience
THE CASE FOR IMPACTIf you spend one hour saving a high impact EA an hour of their time, you boost your own impact level to their level.
Consider this hypothetical example for an earn-to-giver: If you earn $100 per hour and donate 10%, you create $10 of impact per hour. If a high impact EA can generate $100 per hour of impact, and you save them an hour, you’ve generated $100 of impact - a 10x increase in your impact. See more about the rationale here on 80,000 hours.
The case for impact relies on the impact of who you’re assisting. In this case, you’ll be helping out Kat and Emerson, two successful entrepreneurs with a long track record of impact. Kat is most known for co-founding Charity Entrepreneurship
, a charity incubator, on which Nonlinear is modeled. Emerson is a Forbes 30 Under 30 entrepreneur who built some of the internet’s largest websites and founded Mugglenet, the #1 Harry Potter site, when he was 12. You can see their bios here
. One valuation metric: companies pay Emerson $15,000 to speak. If you want to do deeper research, Google will provide thousands of articles about Emerson :)RESPONSIBILITIES
In this role, you will research, self-learn, and execute optimal solutions to a wide range of tasks. These are a mix of tasks such as:Operations support
- Navigating bureaucracy to help us stay compliant, Helping Nonlinear incubated start-ups with tasks
- Helping publish Kat's upcoming book, Giving editing feedback on documents.
- Finding products and services, searching for contacts, looking up organizations, searching for event venues
Personal life administration
- Filing taxes, data entry, task management, basic financial management, personal document preparations
Managing inboxes and crafting email
- Drafting responses, creating templated communications, invitations
Other miscellaneous tasks to increase productivity
- Maintaining files and documents, hiring people on Upwork, task triage
Assist in project logistics and organizing events
- Putting together conferences, get-togethers, office events
- Booking car repairs, fixing simple housing issues or calling contractors, doing in-person purchases like groceries, Cooking healthy meals, packing and unpacking
- Setting up and managing our Nonlinear EA Puerto Rico House
YOU’RE A GREAT FIT IF…
- The idea of traveling full-time calls on your sense of adventure, and you don't have too much that ties you down at home.
- You obsess over increasing your own productivity and love the idea of helping others do the same.
- You enjoy or don’t mind doing paperwork and the straightforwardness of it. Checking items off the list is always satisfying.
- When there’s no how-to manual, you figure out how to make one. You’re excited about working in a start-up culture of experimentation and moving fast.
- You get joy and satisfaction from making things easier for someone else and seeing the ripple effects even if your work isn’t usually front and center.
- You’re strategically organized. You love a good system and keeping things in order, but don’t get caught in the weeds of it.
- You’d like to be one of the first members of a fast growing EA startup with lots of opportunities for career progression.
: July 21stTarget Start Date
: SeptemberFill out this form to apply.If you have any questions regarding the position, get in contact via email@example.com