GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company
, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine
, This American Life
, Foreign Affairs
, and The Economist
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn.
Location: Fully Remote
The US Senior Program Manager will drive program implementation for large-scale cash interventions in the U.S. As a senior member of GiveDirectly’s U.S. country team you will be crucial in driving opportunities for new business, building partnerships, and designing and executing new programs. The U.S. Senior Program Manager will have a unique opportunity to drive impact and innovation in the U.S. cash sector at a time when cash is receiving unprecedented attention and interest in the public eye
. The U.S. Senior Manager would be responsible for managing and delivering on commitments in our growing guaranteed income portfolio, as well as supporting other cash initiatives, including disaster response.
We’re looking for candidates who will be based in the United States and willing to relocate domestically as needed. You must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application; we are unable to sponsor international candidates for this position.
End-to-end project management
- Fully own end-to-end design, planning, and execution of cash projects, and coordinate with external and internal stakeholders to ensure successful end-to-end execution
- Design and build operational models for new programs, including assessing trade-offs of different design decisions (e.g. targeting, payments, customer service)
- Manage partnerships with vendors, subgrantees/subcontractors and other external parties to support implementation
- Define, track, and report operational and efficiency metrics
- Dynamically identify operational vulnerabilities (e.g. fraud, brand risk etc) and create solutions to de-risk
- Directly manage team members (U.S. Manager/Associate) whose responsibilities include field team hiring and management, operations quality assurance, and business diligence support
New business development
- Ideate, evaluate, and drive new program opportunities, supporting end-to-end deal cycle from pitching to launch
- Conduct operational diligence, feasibility, and risk assessments for pilots and inbound proposal
- Identify and pursue fundraising opportunities for new programs
- Establish and maintain high quality relationships with donors and operational partners
- Drive communication and alignment across a variety of internal and external stakeholders including GD senior management, donors, operational partners, researchers, and payment providers
- Collaborate with partnerships team to create content to drive donor conversations and position GiveDirectly as a leader in the US cash space
- 4-7+ years of experience in a role focused on problem solving (eg field management, consulting, analytics), team management, and/or new business development
- Exceptional project management skills
- Exceptional ability to logic through complex operational questions & run robust analyses to inform management and programming decisions
- Experience managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders (internal and external)
- Strong communications skills, including speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across diverse audiences
- Track record of identifying and managing new partnership opportunities
- Enthusiasm for fast-paced environments, which may lack pre-defined playbook for success and involve significant “learning by doing”
- Experience working in community engagement, community mobilization, and/or anti-poverty programs in the U.S. preferred
- Additional language proficiency strongly preferred
Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
- Willingness to relocate or spend significant time in project sites strongly preferred.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
GiveDirectly expects to hire 1+ individuals from this posting, contingent on funding availability.
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- The United States base salary for this role is $99,000
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A robust health benefits plan (exact details will vary by country)
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
Read more about our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here and about our decision to move our central support teams to remote first here.