We are looking for technically minded generalists with some knowledge of AI alignment research who can work with the MATS Technical Director on various curriculum design and research management tasks. Strong candidates are excited about alignment field-building, read widely on the Alignment Forum or in the ML literature, have strong technical skills (e.g. math, computer science, ML), and have experience designing educational resources.
Compensation depends on experience and location:
- Technical Generalist, Berkeley: $100-$150k
- Technical Generalist, remote: $70-$100k
- Senior Technical Generalist, Berkeley: $150-$200k
- Senior Technical Generalist, remote: $120-$150k
Start ASAP. Part-time or full-time work (20 or 40 h/week) during Q4 2022 and Q1 2023 (potentially continuing beyond this). Strong preference for working from Berkeley, CA.
Responsibilities may include:
- Helping the MATS team and our mentors with program strategy, including but not limited to:
- Helping design and implement a training program curriculum with mentor-specific reading lists, talks, and workshops (for example, see Evan Hubinger’s and John Wentworth’s curricula from the summer 2022 cohort);
- Helping organize scholar research projects, including arranging mentor-scholar meetings, setting publication milestones, and organizing cross-stream research collaborations;
- Helping plan and conduct impact evaluations of scholar research projects; and
- Helping plan and run MATS seminar program talks and workshops (for example, see the summer 2022 seminar program).
- Helping scholars learn alignment theory and conduct their research projects, including but not limited to:
- Acting as a teaching assistant, including assisting at seminars and workshops, reviewing scholars’ articles, providing research advice, and recommending papers and blog posts; and
- Acting as a research manager, including contacting potential research collaborators on behalf of scholars, organizing scholar teams and collaborations, and arranging computing resources.
- Improving the counterfactual impact of MATS by surveying mentors, scholars, and research collaborators.
- Researching the pipeline into alignment research and the target demographic of SERI MATS.
We may consider part-time roles for candidates who plan to work part-time on alignment research or upskilling concurrently.